Thursday, May 11, 2017

I Found My Purpose In Pain

Reflecting on some encounters with students over the last couple of weeks, both moments of frustration and moments of grace...Reflecting on chapters studied in my small group Bible Study class...Reflecting on my students' responses to both moments of warmth and gentleness,  I've been able to hone in on my purpose:



It's crazy how I can be SO frustrated
feel so bruised or wronged or angry or such a victim
It's crazy how in these spaces
God can awaken the seed He put in me
and change the glare in my eye, the Fire-Red Indignation
to a LOVE so warm and deep and consuming
that my heart melts
even for those who have hurt me
Sometimes all I can see and all I can feel
is THE BLOW-
what was stolen or broken or unappreciated or disrespected-
and Sometimes the presence of His seed in me frustrates me
because I want to be angry and I want justice
I want to be redeemed from my pain
I want to be acknowledged and I want recompense
but REALLY, really I was made to LOVE
to LOVE
not to require
not to indict
not to wait for vindication
but to simply and completely
LOVE
to LOVE deeply and widely and wholly
in such a way that CONQUERS EVERYTHING.
I AM more than a conqueror, but my victory and "living fully"
comes in ways that feel like losing at times.
I was BORN TO LOVE
and heal
and cover
and touch.
LOVE CONQUERS ALL.
And what truly is NEEDED, and what truly is THE ANSWER
is LOVE

2 comments: